(2018) (Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A seasoned but troubled musician takes a young performer under his wings and eventually marries her, only to have her career eclipse his, all as the music industry changes her image, much to his dismay.
- Jackson Maine (BRADLEY COOPER) is a veteran singer-songwriter who can still pack audiences into stadiums to watch him perform his hits, all while his brother-manager, Bobby (SAM ELLIOTT), has to contend with his near constant benders. Another appears to be ready to be unleashed after a concert when Jackson has his driver drop him off at the next available bar that just so happens to be having an open mic night for drag queens. Jackson doesn't mind upon being informed of this by Ramon (ANTHONY RAMOS), but he ends up distracted by the lone woman, Ally (LADY GAGA), who performs "La Vie en Rose" and impresses him with her talent.
He later meets her and learns that she works at a catering company, lives with her chauffeur dad, Lorenzo (ANDREW DICE CLAY), and has never made it in the music biz since everyone likes her voice but not her looks. He's shocked, as he finds her beautiful and two soon become romantically involved. Having brought her onstage during one of his concerts to sing one of her songs, she ends up impressing everyone, including music manager Rez (RAFI GAVRON) who immediately wants to change most everything about her look and aura to make her more marketable.
Jackson objects, but her star is already on an unstoppable rise, all while his has stalled and is likely falling. All of which, along with his constant drinking, worries his longtime friend, Noodles (DAVE CHAPPELLE), who long ago left the industry for a calmer life. As their trajectories head in opposite directions, it's uncertain how that will affect Jackson and Ally's professional and personal relationship.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They will if they're fans of Gaga, Cooper or anyone else in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, some sexuality/nudity and substance abuse.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.