(2018) (Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Thriller/Black Comedy: A woman tries to figure out the truth behind her new best friend's unexpected disappearance.
- Stephanie Smothers (ANNA KENDRICK) is a single mom to young Miles (JOSHUA SATINE) and is somewhat mocked by other parents for her energy and participation in school functions and for her video blog about all things homemaking. While they couldn't be more different, she finds a friend of sorts in the alluring Emily Nelson (BLAKE LIVELY), a stylishly attractive director of PR for a fashion designer, wife to one-time author turned English professor Sean Townsend (HENRY GOLDING) and mom to young Nicky (IAN HO).
The two women end up hitting it off over drinks and become instant friends, although Stephanie probably believes in that description more than Emily who bluntly speaks her mind. That includes telling the homemaker that she doesn't want a friend like her, but nonetheless has no problem asking Stephanie to watch Nicky when she's busy. Stephanie is happy to help, including when Emily says she's headed to Miami for work, but then becomes concerned when Emily seemingly vanishes and doesn't answer any attempts at contacting her, all while Sean's been in another country caring for his mom.
As the police begin to investigate and learn that Sean took out a $4 million insurance policy on his wife right before her disappearance, Stephanie becomes increasingly suspicious about what's occurred and starts looking for clues to explain what's really happening.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might be interested, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast or the director (who previously helmed "Bridesmaids," "Spy" and the reboot of "Ghostbusters").
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual content and language throughout, some graphic nude images, drug use and violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.