(2018) (Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Thriller/Black Comedy: A woman tries to figure out the truth behind her new best friend's unexpected disappearance.
- Stephanie Smothers (ANNA KENDRICK) is a single mom to young Miles (JOSHUA SATINE) and is somewhat mocked by other parents for her energy and participation in school functions and for her video blog about all things homemaking. While they couldn't be more different, she finds a friend of sorts in the alluring Emily Nelson (BLAKE LIVELY), a stylishly attractive director of PR for a fashion designer, wife to one-time author turned English professor Sean Townsend (HENRY GOLDING) and mom to young Nicky (IAN HO).
The two women end up hitting it off over drinks and become instant friends, although Stephanie probably believes in that description more than Emily who bluntly speaks her mind. That includes telling the homemaker that she doesn't want a friend like her, but nonetheless has no problem asking Stephanie to watch Nicky when she's busy. Stephanie is happy to help, including when Emily says she's headed to Miami for work, but then becomes concerned when Emily seemingly vanishes and doesn't answer any attempts at contacting her, all while Sean's been in another country caring for his mom.
As the police begin to investigate and learn that Sean took out a $4 million insurance policy on his wife right before her disappearance, Stephanie becomes increasingly suspicious about what's occurred and starts looking for clues to explain what's really happening.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might be interested, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast or the director (who previously helmed "Bridesmaids," "Spy" and the reboot of "Ghostbusters").
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual content and language throughout, some graphic nude images, drug use and violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.