(2017) (Oakes Fegley, Millicent Simmonds) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two deaf children, fifty years apart, run away from home to seek out a parent.
- It's 1977 and Ben (OAKES FEGLEY) is a boy living in Minnesota with his relatives following the car accident death of his mother that essentially left him orphaned, what with his mother never informing him of his father's identity. While reminiscing in his old house and finding a clue he believes could help him learn about and maybe meet his father, Ben is struck by lightning while on the phone.
That leaves him deaf but undeterred and he leaves the hospital without informing anyone and takes a bus to New York City to continue his quest. He's befriended and helped by a young boy, Jamie (JADEN MICHAEL), whose father works in the city museum and eventually meets an older woman, Rose (JULIANNE MOORE), who might have answers for him.
Fifty years earlier, Rose (MILLICENT SIMMONDS) is also a deaf child although she's never been able to hear. With a strict, disciplinarian father, Rose escapes in the world of silent movies where she can understand what's being said -- thanks to dialogue title cards -- and seems enamored with silent film star Lillian Mayhew (JULIANNE MOORE). Like her counterpart a half-century later, Rose runs away from home to New York City in hopes of finding her idol who ends up having a connection with the girl.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It doesn't seem that likely despite the two leads being kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements and smoking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.