(2017) (Jim Broadbent, Charlotte Rampling) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A retired man tries to find resolution for his spiteful behavior decades earlier toward his then girlfriend and best friend.
- Tony Webster (JIM BROADBENT) is a divorced retiree who runs a small, vintage camera shop not far from his London townhouse. He's still friends with his ex-wife, Margaret (HARRIET WALTER), and both are looking forward to the birth of their grandchild courtesy of their single mother-to-be daughter, Susie (MICHELLE DOCKERY).
Tony's life is one of routine, but that's shaken a bit when he receives a legal notice about the estate settlement of Sarah Ford (EMILY MORTIMER), the late mother of Tony's college girlfriend, Veronica (FREYA MAVOR). In the accompanying letter, there's also mention of his best friend in school, Adrian Finn (JOE ALWYN), and that his diary was intended for Tony, but it's missing from the package he's received.
As he hopes to get his hands on that, he recounts those times long ago when he was a college student (BILLY HOWLE) and close pal to Adrian, and how those relationships changed over time, including a surprise revelation that led to him firing off a nasty and vindictive letter to those he believed wronged him.
Now, decades later, he feels guilty about having done so and thus tries to meet Veronica (CHARLOTTE RAMPLING) to make amends, something she initially wants no part of. As he perseveres, he comes to learn the truth about what really happened all of those years ago and the lingering after effects that are still present today.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Beyond a few older teens, it's highly unlikely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, a violent image, sexuality and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.