(2017) (Tom Taylor, Idris Elba) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A 14-year-old finds himself in the middle of a conflict where the safety of the universe is at stake.
- 14-year-old Jake Chambers (TOM TAYLOR) lives in New York City with his mom, Laurie (KATHERYN WINNICK), and stepfather, Lon (NICHOLAS PAULING). She's concerned and he's increasingly perturbed by the boy's claims of having visions of a gunslinger, a man in black, and an apocalyptic scenario.
Little do they or Jake know that he has a supernatural ability known as "shine" that allows him to see into other worlds and dimensions, or that Roland Deschain, a.k.a. The Gunslinger (IDRIS ELBA), and Walter O'Dim, a.k.a. The Man in Black (MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY), are real figures who've been locked in battle forever.
The Gunslinger is the last of his kind, a sort of cowboy warrior equipped with six-shooters forged from the legendary sword Excalibur, and he's been tasked with protecting The Tower that holds the universe together. His sorcerer nemesis, The Man in Black, desires to bring that down and thus allow demons like him into the universe, and legend has it that a child will be the only one capable of accomplishing that feat. After testing any number of children, The Man in Black believes he's found the right kid in Jake, but is already one step behind as the teen has discovered and traveled through a portal to Mid-World where he teams up with the Gunslinger.
From that point on, the Man in Black and his minions attempt to get their hands on the boy, all while The Gunslinger tries to protect the boy and get revenge on his nemesis for killing everyone he loves.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the novel series by Stephen King and/or anyone who's in the cast, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic material including sequences of gun violence and action.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.