(2017) (Miles Teller, Haley Bennett) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: In 2007, three traumatized war buddies return from Iraq and must adjust to civilian life.
- In 2007, three soldiers are returning from Iraqi and are looking forward to reconnect with the women who love them and get back into civilian life. Adam (MILES TELLER) is a sergeant who's reunited with his wife, Saskia (HALEY BENNETT), young daughter, and a baby son he's never met. Solo (BEULAH KOALE) is an Army specialist who is eager to start a family with his wife, Alea (KEISHA CASTLE-HUGHES). And Will (JOE COLE) just misses the hot intimacy he shared with his fiancée, Tracey (ERIN DARKE), and hopes to resume that immediately.
Upon returning, though, the three find assimilating back into society difficult. Adam's kids don't know him, his benefits won't kick in for several months, and he's been having suicidal thoughts ever since a mission went wrong under his command. Solo is clearly suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), has problems with his short-term memory, craves drugs to cope, and wants only to reenlist. Will, meanwhile, has returned to an empty house with his fiancée having left him.
From there, things get worse before they can get better. The men have to deal with a Department of Veteran Affairs that is overburdened and ill-prepared to handle the influx of Afghan and Iraqi war veterans in need of help. Solo gets roped into a local crime ring led by former vet-turned-gangster named Dante (OMAR J. DORSEY). And Adam weighs leaving his family to check himself into a treatment facility in California when a spot opens up.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may have some interest due to the young cast. Those in military families, especially anyone with a parent stationed overseas, may have additional reasons for seeing the film.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violent content, language throughout, some sexuality, drug material, and brief nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.