(2017) (Chris Staples, Alexia Hall) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A former college basketball star tries to get his life back in order after serving six years in prison for armed robbery.
- Michael Diggs (CHRIS STAPLES) was once the best college basketball player in the country with millions of dollars awaiting him, his mother, Gemma (ROSEMARIE SMITH-COLEMAN), and his girlfriend, Lisa (ALEXIA HALL) -- not to mention his agent-in-waiting, Terrell (MICHAEL IRVIN) -- once he turned pro. But that never happened as accepting $1,000 to show up in a gun store with another man resulted in him unwittingly being an accomplice to armed robbery and murder. Despite him being innocent, the evidence looked bad and he was sentenced to six years in prison during which he cut off all contact with Lisa.
Now that he's out, he's learned that she's dating his former teammate turned NBA pro, Craig Jackson (GARY SMITH), and that his younger brother, Taye (KELSEY CAESAR), is hanging out with some gun runner gang members. Michael wants no part of that life and tries to make ends meet doing menial jobs, all while helping Pastor Soul (RAY WALIA) restore an old, dilapidated church. He also returns to the basketball courts and befriends the likes of Jerome (RYAN GUNNARSON) and Brandon (MICHAEL HARDY) who convince him he should enter a slam dunk competition.
He eventually does and ends up competing against the likes of slam dunk champion Jammer (JUSTIN DARLINGTON), all while trying to keep Taye out of trouble and get his own life back in order and on track.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into basketball, they might show some interest, but this film probably isn't on most kids' radar screens.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements, some violence and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.