(2017) (voices of Luke Wilson, Eddie Izzard) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer Animated Dramedy: A young Tibetan mastiff leaves his mountain village -- and responsibility of helping protect the wool-producing sheep from wolves -- to try to make it in the big city as a rock 'n roll musician.
- In the high altitude village of Tibet's Snow Mountain, it's up to mastiffs to protect the wool-producing sheep from predatory wolves. The mastiff leader, Khampa (voice of J.K. SIMMONS), wants to pass on his responsibility to his son, Bodi (voice of LUKE WILSON), but the young dog is more interested in music than in the daily grind of overseeing some of the sheep dressing up like fierce guards to fool the wolves and keep them at bay. Khampa is disappointed in this -- especially what with having banned music in the past for being a distraction to security -- but the village's resident storyteller, Fleetwood Yak (voice of SAM ELLIOTT), eventually convinces him to allow his son to travel to the big city to give it a go as a rock 'n roll musician.
That's been Bodi's dream ever since a radio literally fell from the sky (and a plane passing overhead) which allowed him to hear the music of the legendary feline musician Angus Scattergood (voice of EDDIE IZZARD) along with that cat's advice to follow one's dream. And thus Bodi heads off for the bright lights and the city's music park in hopes of finding Angus for some music lessons. Bass guitarist Darma (voice of MAE WHITMAN) and drummer Germur (voice of JORGE GARCIA) think that's quaint, but egotistical guitarist Trey (voice of MATT DILLON) convinces the young dreamer -- as a mean joke -- that he should pay Angus a visit.
And so the mastiff does just that, arriving at the reclusive musician's elaborately protected mansion where he lives with only his robot butler, Ozzie, and is facing demands from his recording label for a new record. He initially wants nothing to do with the novice guitar player, but when Bodi plays something that catches his ear, he thinks his problem might be solved. At the same time, and unbeknownst to Bodi, wolf boss Linnux (voice of LEWIS BLACK) has been alerted of the young mastiff's presence in the city, and thus sends his henchmen Riff (voice of KENAN THOMPSON) and Skozz to kidnap the dog to learn about his father's current defensive strategy of the sheep up on Snow Mountain so that they can mount an attack.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Younger kids might be drawn in by the talking (and guitar playing) animals angle, but this doesn't look like it's going to be a huge draw among kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For action and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.