(2017) (Matilda Lutz, Alex Roe) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A young couple tries to solve the mystery behind a mysterious video that kills its viewers one week after they watch it.
- Julia (MATILDA LUTZ) is a teenager whose boyfriend, Holt (ALEX ROE), has just headed off to college. But when she hasn't heard from him in a while and then gets a strange video call from Skye (AIMEE TEEGARDEN), she decides to drive to the campus to find out what's happening. She ends up going to Holt's biology class, but the professor, Gabriel (JOHNNY GALECKI), doesn't offer any help, but his dismissal of her raises her suspicions.
She then follows him to a lab operation where he has various students watch a surreal video to test its effects on them as he tries to prove the existence of life after death. And that's because the video -- which features abstract clips, images and the view of a ghostly girl, Samara (BONNIE MORGAN), emerging from a well -- has the nasty side effect of resulting in the viewer's death seven days later, unless they make a copy and have someone else watch it before their time is up.
Both Holt and Skye have watched the tape, and the latter is trying to pass off the curse onto Julia, but the ghost girl from the tape gets to Skye first, resulting in her grotesque death. Julia then watches the tape to free Holt, but begins to experience odd supernatural occurrences. All of which lead her and Holt to try to figure out what it all means, including a trip to an old church from her visions where the blind cemetery caretaker, Burke (VINCENT D'ONOFRIO), may know more than he initially discloses.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror movies or are fans of the first two entries in this film series, they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence/terror, thematic elements, some sexuality and brief drug material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.