(2017) (Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A young woman must contend with a growing number of strangers who take over her home, all while her husband welcomes them without question.
- A young woman (JENNIFER LAWRENCE) -- noted as "Mother" in the credits but never in the film, like everyone else -- is married to an older writer, "Him" (JAVIER BARDEM) and is helping refurbish his large, remote house that burned down before she met him. While he struggles with writer's block, she happily works on the home, but is startled when he allows a stranger, "Man" (ED HARRIS), to enter the house and spend the night. He's followed by his wife, "Woman" (MICHELLE PFEIFFER) who pries into Mother's personal life, invades her space, and won't pay attention to stated boundaries. After Man and Woman break something of great value to Him, their adult children, "Oldest Son" (DOMHNALL GLEESON) and "Youngest Brother" (BRIAN GLEESON), show up and squabble over what should be theirs.
The leads to a murder and then more strangers showing up at the house, some of them followers of Him and his work and others who are just interlopers. As things spiral out of control, the now very pregnant Mother must contend with the increasing chaos that's surrounding her and engulfing her house, unaware of how things will ultimately play out.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens who are into films by Darren Aronofsky or who might be fans of someone in the cast could be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong disturbing violent content, some sexuality, nudity and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.