(2017) (Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A young woman must contend with a growing number of strangers who take over her home, all while her husband welcomes them without question.
- A young woman (JENNIFER LAWRENCE) -- noted as "Mother" in the credits but never in the film, like everyone else -- is married to an older writer, "Him" (JAVIER BARDEM) and is helping refurbish his large, remote house that burned down before she met him. While he struggles with writer's block, she happily works on the home, but is startled when he allows a stranger, "Man" (ED HARRIS), to enter the house and spend the night. He's followed by his wife, "Woman" (MICHELLE PFEIFFER) who pries into Mother's personal life, invades her space, and won't pay attention to stated boundaries. After Man and Woman break something of great value to Him, their adult children, "Oldest Son" (DOMHNALL GLEESON) and "Youngest Brother" (BRIAN GLEESON), show up and squabble over what should be theirs.
The leads to a murder and then more strangers showing up at the house, some of them followers of Him and his work and others who are just interlopers. As things spiral out of control, the now very pregnant Mother must contend with the increasing chaos that's surrounding her and engulfing her house, unaware of how things will ultimately play out.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens who are into films by Darren Aronofsky or who might be fans of someone in the cast could be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong disturbing violent content, some sexuality, nudity and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.