<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2017) (Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A teenager yearns to get out of Sacramento all while contending with an overly critical mother, school matters, and raging hormones.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson (SAOIRSE RONAN) is a 17-year-old who lives in Sacramento with her overly critical mother, Marion (LAURIE METCALF), more supportive father, Larry (TRACY LETTS), adoptive brother, Miguel (JORDAN RODRIGUES), and his girlfriend, Shelly (MARIELLE SCOTT). Lady Bird hates living there, especially since she's not rich like fellow student Jenna Walton (ODEYA RUSH) and yearns to attend a college on the East Coast to get away from her mother, although that means she will miss her best friend, Julie Steffans (BEANIE FELDSTEIN).
Things look up when a nun encourages Lady Bird to try out for the school drama team, and it's there that she meets fellow student Danny (LUCAS HEDGES) and falls head over heels in love. When his hidden secret puts an end to that, she moves on to bohemian artist Kyle (TIMOTHEE CHALAMET), who's friends with Jenna, and soon Lady Bird is friends with her as well, much to the dismay of Julie. As the school year wears on, Lady Bird must contend with her rocky relationship with her mother, various school matters, and her own raging hormones.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- With the film getting a fair amount of buzz and featuring a rebellious teenage character, I can see teenagers being interested in this.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual content, brief graphic nudity and teen partying.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.