(2017) (Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A teenager yearns to get out of Sacramento all while contending with an overly critical mother, school matters, and raging hormones.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson (SAOIRSE RONAN) is a 17-year-old who lives in Sacramento with her overly critical mother, Marion (LAURIE METCALF), more supportive father, Larry (TRACY LETTS), adoptive brother, Miguel (JORDAN RODRIGUES), and his girlfriend, Shelly (MARIELLE SCOTT). Lady Bird hates living there, especially since she's not rich like fellow student Jenna Walton (ODEYA RUSH) and yearns to attend a college on the East Coast to get away from her mother, although that means she will miss her best friend, Julie Steffans (BEANIE FELDSTEIN).
Things look up when a nun encourages Lady Bird to try out for the school drama team, and it's there that she meets fellow student Danny (LUCAS HEDGES) and falls head over heels in love. When his hidden secret puts an end to that, she moves on to bohemian artist Kyle (TIMOTHEE CHALAMET), who's friends with Jenna, and soon Lady Bird is friends with her as well, much to the dismay of Julie. As the school year wears on, Lady Bird must contend with her rocky relationship with her mother, various school matters, and her own raging hormones.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- With the film getting a fair amount of buzz and featuring a rebellious teenage character, I can see teenagers being interested in this.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual content, brief graphic nudity and teen partying.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.