(2017) (Charlie Hunnam, Jude Law) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Adventure: A retelling and reimagining of the King Arthur legend, in which a young commoner learns it is his destiny to claim a mythic sword and bring down an evil monarch.
- In the kingdom of Camelot, King Uther (ERIC BANA) defends his people by wielding the mythic sword Excalibur, which was forged by Merlin the Magician. But his own brother, Vortigern (JUDE LAW), is obsessed with power and plots against him to seize the throne. He even sacrifices his wife to possess a dark magic that will help him counteract Excalibur. After murdering both Uther and his wife, he is unable to kill their son, who is put in a boat and sent upriver where he is discovered by some prostitutes in the tough town of Londinium and raised in a brothel.
He is named Arthur (CHARLIE HUNNAM), and he grows up while learning to become a thief, a fighter, and a rogue. Meanwhile, Vortigern retains power throughout those years, but fears the offspring of his brother who may be able to pull Excalibur from the stone in which it was embedded upon Uther's death. After testing the men of the kingdom to try and dislodge the blade, Arthur soon takes his shot and does so easily. Vortigern immediately orders his execution, but Arthur rescued by his father's old chief lieutenant, Bedivere (DJIMON HOUNSOU), and The Mage (ASTRID BERGES-FRISBEY), a sorceress and the last of her kind.
They eventually team up with such other rebels as Bill (AIDAN GILLEN), Back Lack (NEIL MASKELL), Wet Stick (KINGSLEY BEN-ADIR), and Rubio (FREDDIE FOX). Arthur is reluctant to accept his destiny as the future king of Camelot, but after seeing the suffering of his people and having repeated visions of his father and mother being slain by his uncle, he vows revenge.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted to its action, PG-13 rating, and appealing cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of violence and action, some suggestive material, and brief strong language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.