(2017) (Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman who's obsessed with social media befriends a popular Internet figure who isn't aware of the woman's true intentions.
- Ingrid Thorburn (AUBREY PLAZA) is a young woman who's obsessed with social media, especially following her mother's recent death. After a stint in a mental hospital following an attack on another woman who didn't invite Ingrid to her wedding, she becomes intrigued by Instagram star Taylor Sloane (ELIZABETH OLSEN), what with reading a story about her and her desire to be everyone's friend. Of course, Taylor meant that in reference to online "friends," but Ingrid mistakes that and after a few meaningless online exchanges she becomes obsessed with her. So much so that after inheriting a decent amount of money from her mother, Ingrid moves to Santa Monica where Taylor lives with her struggling artist husband, Ezra O'Keefe (WYATT RUSSELL).
After renting a room from aspiring screenwriter Dan Pinto (O'SHEA JACKSON JR.), Ingrid sets out to get herself into Taylor's life and abducts her dog so that she can pretend to find the pooch, be the hero of the story, and become friends with Taylor. That ends up working and the two become best friends, but things become complicated when Taylor's recovering alcoholic brother, Nicky (BILLY MAGNUSSEN), shows up with word that he met an even bigger Internet star than Taylor, Harley Chung (POM KLEMENTIEFF), and that the two women should meet.
That obviously doesn't sit well with Ingrid who now believes her relationship with Taylor has been compromised. As her obsession turns into something more disturbing, she does what she can to remain relevant in Taylor's eyes as well as on the Internet.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Tweens and teens might since it features a young cast and involves social media.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, drug use, some sexual content and disturbing behavior.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.