(2017) (Scarlett Johansson, Juliette Binoche) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Science-Fiction: In the future, a cybernetic-enhanced woman learns her real memories have been erased in order to make her a more obedient soldier.
- In the not-too-distant future, humans can improve their physical and cognitive abilities with cybernetic implants. Major (SCARLETT JOHANSSON) is the first of her kind: a human brain inside of a completely cybernetic body. She was saved from a near-death drowning and chosen to become the perfect soldier, a member of an elite government unit headed by Aramaki (TAKESHI KITANO) and formed to fight terrorism.
Major and her gruff, militaristic partner, Batou (PILOU ASBAEK), are assigned to track down a ruthless, but enigmatic hacker named Kuze (MICHAEL PITT) who has been targeting and killing the top scientists of the Hanka Corporation. Headed by Cutter (PETER FERDINANDO), the all-powerful company has been at the forefront of cybernetic technology for years and is the entity that plucked Major out of the water and "saved" her.
But Major comes to learn that her entire past is a series of fabricated memories, and that Kuze may actually be a rebel liberator. She seeks out the assistance of Dr. Ouelet (JULIETTE BINOCHE), the good-hearted scientist who rebuilt her. She is also the last target on Kuze's list. Soon, Major learns just how far the human brain can be hacked into and how hard it is to fight to keep one's soul, or rather "ghost."
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Yes, especially teens who are into Japanese anime and dystopian sci-fi action films in the style of "Blade Runner" and "The Matrix."
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of sci-fi violence, suggestive content, and some disturbing images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.