(2017) (voices of John Cena, Kate McKinnon) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Comedy: An oversized bull who doesn't believe in violence must contend with being sent to a ranch that raises bulls for bullfighting.
- As a young bull, Ferdinand (voice of COLIN H. MURPHY) is being raised at Casa del Toro, a bullfighting ranch run by Sr. Moreno (voice of RAUL ESPARZA). Unlike the other child bulls there and their fathers, Ferdinand has no interest in bullfighting or any sort of violence for that matter. And thus when his father is chosen to fight in Madrid but never comes back, Ferdinand runs away from the camp, escapes on a train, and ends up on a farm filled with his favorite things -- flowers -- where a young girl, Nina (voice of LILY DAY), becomes his best friend.
With the passage of time, however, Ferdinand (voice of JOHN CENA) has now grown into a monstrosity of a bull, although he's still as passive as ever. But when a bee stings him on the rear and he causes a great deal of accidental damage to a market and scares everyone there in the process, he's captured and sent away -- back to Case del Toro. There, he's paired with a calming goat, Lupe (voice of KATE McKINNON), who isn't very good at her job, and finds himself back in the company of his childhood bull acquaintances.
While the likes of Bones (voice of ANTHONY ANDERSON) and Guapo (voice of PEYTON MANNING) are intimidated by Ferdinand's size, Scottish bull Angus (voice of DAVID TENNANT) can't see him and genetically modified Maquina (voice of TIM NORDQUIST) acts like a robot, Valiente (voice of BOBBY CANNAVALE) takes up with his bullying of Ferdinand from where he left off.
Valiente is determined to be chosen to battle legendary bullfighter El Primero (voice of MIGUEL ANGEL SILVESTRE) and thus repeatedly puts Ferdinand in his place, as do a trio of Austrian or German show horses -- Hans (voice of FLULA BORG), Greta (voice of SALLY PHILLIPS), and Klaus (voice of BORIS KODJOE) -- who live in the next corral over. But along with Lupe who now considers Ferdinand her best friend, the pacifist bull finds allies in a trio of hedgehogs -- Una (voice of GINA RODRIGUEZ), Dos (voice of DAVEED DIGGS) and Cuatro (voice of GABRIEL IGLESIAS) -- who live on the ranch and help conspire to free him from that facility.
With El Primero wanting the best bull to battle in Madrid and setting his sights on Ferdinand, the bull must do what he can to escape that situation, especially when the alternative is to be sent to the chop house for beef processing.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they enjoy animated movies featuring talking animals, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For rude humor, action and some thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.