(2017) (Amandla Stenberg, Nick Robinson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A teenager who's confined to her home due to an immune deficiency ends up falling for the boy who moves in next door.
- Maddy Whittier (AMANDLA STENBERG) is an 18-year-old girl suffering from SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency). As a result, she hasn't left her house in the past seventeen years where she lives with her mom, Pauline (ANIKA NONI ROSE), a physician. Her only other direct human contact comes from her personal nurse, Carla (ANA DE LA REGUERA), and that woman's daughter, all of which has left the teenager longing to meet other people in person and see the world. All of which she knows will never happen, what with the likelihood of becoming ill or maybe even dying should she contract something.
Things change, however, when teenager Olly Bright (NICK ROBINSON) moves in next door with his parents and sister. With their bedroom windows facing each other, the two teens become friends via text messages, and that then blossoms into something more. Sensing this and not telling Pauline, Carla allows Olly to enter the house and interact with Maddy, albeit at a distance. That only further intensifies their teen romance bond, as well as Maddy's wanderlust to see the rest of the world.
As she strives to make that a reality, she must contend with her mother's objections, as well as the possibility that doing so could endanger her life.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teenage girls might be drawn in by the teen romance story.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements and brief sensuality.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.