(2017) (Gary Oldman, Lily James) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: The Prime Minister of England must contend with the growing threat facing his country -- and the debate about how to proceed -- as German's invasion of Europe heads their way.
- It's 1940 and Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain (RONALD PICKUP) has lost the confidence of much of the government, especially in light of Hitler blitzkrieging his way through Western Europe. While Chamberlain's allies would like Viscount Halifax (STEPHEN DILLANE) to take the spot -- especially with confidence from close friend King George VI (BEN MENDELSOHN) -- that politician isn't interested in the job. All of which means the most likely choice -- as he'd be the only man accepted by the opposition party -- falls to Winston Churchill (GARY OLDMAN) despite those in his own party not particularly liking him due to his checkered past, including the British defeat at Gallipoli years before.
Nonetheless, and needing new blood in the seat, King George makes the offer and Winston becomes the country's newest Prime Minister, both to the joy and worry of his wife, Clementine Churchill (KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS), who's had to play second fiddle, along with their kids, to his public service career. With a new secretary, Elizabeth Layton (LILY JAMES), at his beck and call, Winston immediately steps into action, focusing on what to do regarding Hitler and other ally countries falling to Germany.
While dealing with others such as Halifax and Chamberlain who want peace rather than war, Winston tries to come up with a winning solution, all while contending with having several hundred thousand British soldiers cornered on the beaches of Dunkirk with things not looking good for them or Britain in general.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's not likely unless they're fans of history-based movies and/or someone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some thematic material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.