(2017) (Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A large blended family goes away to a ski resort for the Christmas holiday and must confront their issues with each other.
- Brad Whitaker (WILL FERRELL) and Dusty Mayron (MARK WAHLBERG) have mostly gotten past their differences from the first film … mostly. Brad is married to Dusty's first wife, Sara (LINDA CARDELLINI), and is the stepdad to her kids, shy and awkward Dylan (OWEN VACCARO), and feisty and free-spirited Megan (SCARLETT ESTEVEZ). The rougher, tougher Dusty is still with model-turned-author Karen (ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO) and is the stepdad to her sullen, iPhone-obsessed teenage daughter, Adrianna (DIDI COSTINE).
Their shared custody and status as "co-dads" is confusing at times, but it works. That is, until the latest Christmas season rolls around, and Dusty learns that his boorish father, Kurt (MEL GIBSON), is coming for a holiday visit. Kurt is a former astronaut who has been a ladies man all his life and raised Dusty on tough love. He sees the two "co-dads" as an affront to masculinity and does his best to undermine the situation after booking a holiday week trip for everyone to a ski resort.
Matters are complicated when Brad's dad, Don (JOHN LITHGOW), also is coming for the Christmas week festivities. He tells Brad that his mom had to stay behind to care for an ailing relative, but secretly they are divorced after decades of marriage. Kurt scoffs as the touchy-feely relationship Brad and Don share, which leads to more tension in the cabin. And then the tension is really ratcheted up when Adrianna's manly, muscular husband, Roger (JOHN CENA), shows up.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The film is rated PG-13, but it should appeal to families with kids in elementary, middle, and high school through the holiday season despite the questionable content detailed below.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For suggestive material and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.