(2017) (Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action-Comedy: The leader of a lifeguard team clashes with its newest, self-centered member, all while they contend with possible criminal activity around them.
- Lieutenant Mitch Buchannon (DWAYNE JOHNSON) is the undisputed leader of the Baywatch lifeguard team at Emerald Bay. Even so, he must still follow orders from Captain Thorpe (ROB HUEBEL), and the latest directive isn't sitting well with him. While he welcomes the likes of Summer Quinn (ALEXANDRA DADDARIO) and the less than in shape but enthusiastic Ronnie Greenbaum (JON BASS) to try out for the squad, Mitch isn't pleased that Thorpe -- in need of some community PR -- has pressured him into accepting Matt Brody (ZAC EFRON) without question. While Matt is more than qualified -- he's a two-time Olympic Gold Medal swimmer -- his self-centeredness cost his Olympic relay team any chance of winning, and he clearly hasn't learned his lesson or changed his ways.
Thus, and with the help of current lifeguards CJ Parker (KELLY ROHRBACH) and Stephanie Holden (ILFENESH HADERA), Mitch welcomes to his squad Ronnie -- who has a crush on CJ, something not lost on his friend, Dave (HANNIBAL BURESS) -- along with Summer and Matt. The latter quickly learns there's more to lifeguarding than he expected, including when a city councilman ends up dead on a burning boat, something that heightens Mitch's suspicions about local luxury club owner Victoria Leeds (PRIYANKA CHOPRA) and his belief that she's involved in dealing drugs, what with small packets of them washing up on his shores.
Like local cop Sgt. Ellerbee (YAHYA ABDUL-MATEEN II), Matt believes such matters are best left to the police, but Mitch sees such criminal activity -- and now possibly murder -- affecting his community and believes it's his and his squad's duty to help put an end to that. As he and Matt continue to clash over that role and other matters, they must contend with Victoria and her goons not being pleased with them sniffing around.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of Johnson, Efron or others in the cast might show some interest, as could anyone who might be a fan of the original TV show.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, crude sexual content, and graphic nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.