(2017) (Anthony LaPaglia, Miranda Otto) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A nun and six orphans move into the remote house of a husband and wife, who lost their child years earlier and are now hiding demonic forces.
- Samuel Mullins (ANTHONY LaPAGLIA) is a dollmaker who lives in a big, old rural house with his wife, Esther (MIRANDA OTTO), and young daughter, Bee (SAMARA LEE), in the 1940s. One afternoon, the family has to deal with a flat tire on the way home from church. Bee wanders out into the road and is struck dead by a speeding car.
The story picks up 12 years later with the Mullins opening their home up to Sister Charlotte (STEPHANIE SIGMAN) and six recently displaced orphans. There is polio-stricken Janice (TALITHA BATEMAN), who is best friends with good-hearted Linda (LULU WILSON). There are teenagers Carol (GRACE FULTON) and Nancy (PHILIPPA COULTHARD), who are snarky to Janice and Linda and favor two other young orphans (TAYLER BUCK and LOU LOU SAFRAN) to stay with them in their room and relegate the other two down the hall and closer to a mysterious room whose door is always locked.
Behind that door, there is a doll named Annabelle Samuel made years earlier that may or may not harbor the spirit of the Mullins' dead daughter. Soon, the girls realize that a demonic force is at work in both the doll and the house, in general. Samuel obviously knows more than he is telling, and Mrs. Mullins is confined to her bed and rarely seen. It's not long before one of the orphans is also possessed and all of their lives are placed in mortal jeopardy.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted to its scary movie elements, the franchise's pedigree, and the film's mostly young cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For horror violence and terror.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.