(2016) (Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action-Comedy: A private detective and a hired enforcer join forces and uncover a trail of dead bodies while trying to find a missing young woman.
- It's 1978 and Holland March (RYAN GOSLING) is a private detective working in Los Angeles and raising his young teenage daughter, Holly (ANGOURIE RICE), by himself following losing his wife and home to a fire sometime in the past. When he's paid to find a missing young woman, Amelia (MARGARET QUALLEY), he has a bad run-in with hired enforcer Jackson Healy (RUSSELL CROWE) who beats him up and tells him to drop the case. But when Amelia then goes missing, the two join forces to try to find her and figure out if her disappearance is somehow tied to the recent and suspicious death of a porn star.
Their investigation leads to run-ins with an older hitman (KEITH DAVID) and his younger associate (BEAU KNAPP), as well as a film projectionist, Chet (JACK KILMER), who might have information as the case widens and more bodies start piling up. Things become even more complicated when Judith Kutner (KIM BASINGER) of the Justice Department and her assistant, Tally (YAYA DaCOSTA), inform Holland Jackson that Amelia is Judith's daughter and is concerned about her well-being.
But when they eventually find the girl, she says her mother is involved in a government cover-up and is trying to have her killed. Not sure who to believe, the two men continue their investigation, all while having to deal with various dangers, including the arrival of a ruthless hitman known as John Boy (MATT BOMER).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast or of old-school, mismatched buddy action flicks.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, sexuality, nudity, language and brief drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.