(2016) (Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy/Adventure: An orphan finds herself in the company of a giant who collects and distributes dreams and must protect her from much larger giants with an appetite for children.
- Sophie (RUBY BARNHILL) is a young girl growing up in a 1980s era orphanage in London. Often suffering from insomnia, she ends up hearing and then seeing a giant lurking about the dark city streets outside her building. She rushes back to bed hoping not to be seen, but the giant (MARK RYLANCE) snatches her from that and returns her to his hidden world and specifically his cave. She's initially scared of the giant, but upon learning that he doesn't eat humans, she decides he's okay after all and names him BFG ("big friendly giant").
He spends most of his time collecting dreams and then distributing them to those sleeping in London and thereabouts. But he must also hide her from a much larger band of giants, led by Fleshlumpeater (JEMAINE CLEMENT) and his right-hand dimwit, Bloodbottler (BILL HADER), who do have an appetite for humans and have caught a whiff of Sophie.
Tired of seeing the others bully BFG, Sophie comes up with a plan that involves none other than the Queen of England (PENELOPE WILTON) and her country's military might. But getting to them and convincing her majesty to help will take some resourcefulness and bravery on her part and that of BFG.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the book, stories/movies about giants, or fantasy based children's movies in general, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For action/peril, some scary moments and brief rude humor.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.