(2016) (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Lucy Boynton) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A Dublin teenager puts together a band to impress a girl he's just met.
- It's 1985 and Conor Lalor (FERDIA WALSH-PEELO) is a teen growing up in Dublin with his sister, Ann (KELLY THORNTON), their older brother, Brendan (JACK REYNOR), and their parents, Robert (AIDAN GILLEN) and Penny (MARIA DOYLE KENNEDY). Due to a lack of money, Conor is pulled from his private school and enrolled at the Synge Street School. There, he runs afoul of the headmaster, Brother Baxter (DON WYCHERLEY), for not having the correct color shoes, as well as local bully Barry (IAN KENNY).
He is befriended by another boy, Darren (BEN CAROLAN), and then sets sights on 16-year-old aspiring model, Raphina (LUCY BOYNTON), who lives in a nearby home for girls. Needing an in with her, Conor lies that he's in a band and they need a model for the new music video. She agrees, and Conor and Darren then set out to build one, starting with the talented Eamon (MARK McKENNA), followed by Ngig (PERCY CHAMBURUKA) and a few others.
With musical advice from Brendan, Conor and his new band attempt to emulate the sounds of contemporary bands, all while Darren serves as their manager and music video director. But as Conor gets better -- and takes on the stage name of "Cosmo" as given to him by Raphina -- he sets out to write his own songs, hoping to impress his model and muse enough that she'll dump her boyfriend and become his girlfriend.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into "putting a band together" related movies, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements including strong language and some bullying behavior, a suggestive image, drug material and teen smoking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.