(2016) (Madina Nalwanga, David Oyelowo) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young girl hopes to escape the slums and poverty of her Ugandan town by becoming an international chess champion.
- It's 2007 and Phiona Mutesi (MADINA NALWANGA) is a young girl growing up in the slums of Katwe near Kampala, Uganda. Along with her brother, Mugabi Brian (MARTIN KABANZA), and widowed mother, Nakku Harriet (LUPITA NYONG'O), Phiona sells vegetables to support her family and her youngest sibling. Her older sister, Night (TARYN "KAY" KYAZE), isn't interested in that life and has taken up with a young man, much to Nakku's dismay.
That mom also becomes concerned when Phiona and Brian start spending time with Robert Katende (DAVID OYELOWO), a former soccer player and husband to Sarah (ESTHER TEBANDEKE). While he dreams of getting hired as an engineer, he's taken a job as a sports ministry coach where he teaches kids how to play chess. Phiona initially clashes with another kid there, Ivan (RONALD SSEMAGANDA), but quickly takes to the game and shows she's a natural talent.
Robert sees that as well and pushes her to get better, something that doesn't sit well with Nakku who sees no future in that and believes it's a waste of Phiona's time when she should be working. But as Phiona increases her skills as the years pass by, Robert convinces Nakku to allow him to enter the girl into increasingly competitive chess tournaments, realizing that winning those could be her ticket out of the slums.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into chess or want to see a movie about girl power.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements, an accident scene and some suggestive material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.