(2016) (Elizabeth Reaser, Annalisa Basso) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A widowed mother and her two daughters must contend with the evil unleashed by their use of a Ouija board.
- It's 1967 and Alice Zander (ELIZABETH REASER) is the widowed mother of high school sophomore Lina (ANNALISE BASSO) and 9-year-old Doris (LULU WILSON). To make ends meet and following in her mother's footsteps, Alice has been making money as a medium, although she doesn't believe in the supernatural aspect of that. Instead, she believes she's serving the purpose of giving families closure and thinks the showmanship of faking supernatural events helps the bereaved buy into the presented "truth."
Things change, however, when she decides to add a Ouija board to her repertoire. While Alice doesn't believe in that any more than any of the other items at her disposal, Doris uses it and unleashes a demonic entity that starts to change her, something not lost on the girls' parochial school principal, Father Tom (HENRY THOMAS). It also becomes clear to Lina's new romantic interest, junior Mikey (PARKER MACK), who gets creepy vibes from Doris.
While Alice comes to believe that the board is actually contacting the dead, both Father Tom and Lina become increasingly concerned by its use and what it's doing to Doris, especially after a demon possesses the girl. From that point on, the family tries to deal with the increasingly spooky and dangerous situation.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror films they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For disturbing images, terror and thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.