(2016) (Emma Roberts, Dave Franco) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A number of high school students get involved with an online game that includes completing increasingly risky dares for cash.
- Vee Delmonico (EMMA ROBERTS) is a high school senior who lives in Staten Island with her nurse mom, Nancy (JULIETTE LEWIS). Vee has always played second fiddle to her more outgoing friend, Sydney (EMILY MEADE), and her friends including Liv (KIMIKO GLENN) and Wes (MARC JOHN JEFFERIES). Sydney is really into the online game Nerve where participants are broken into two groups. There are the players, such as Sydney and Ty (COLSON BAKER) who are up near the top of the leader board in terms of cash earnings and followers based on them completing various dares created by the watchers.
But Vee isn't one of them as she doesn't even have the courage to let high school football star J.P. (BRIAN MARC) know she's interested in him. When Sydney ends up embarrassing her in front of J.P., Vee runs home and signs up for the game, much to the chagrin of her platonic best friend and fellow classmate, Tommy (MILES HEIZER). Vee's first dare is to kiss a stranger and she ends up picking out Ian (DAVE FRANCO) in a diner, initially unaware that the game sent him there for her. After making out, they become a game favorite and are soon tasked with completing more dares together, something Vee is initially hesitant to do, but eventually gets into it.
But as she does, she quickly learns that the dares keep escalating, all of which puts her and Ian in increasing amounts of peril and danger to the point that they find themselves prisoners of the game where the only way out is to win.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Considering the premise and young cast, teens might show some interest, especially if they're a fan of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic material involving dangerous and risky behavior, some sexual content, language, drug content, drinking and nudity-all involving teens.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.