(2016) (Casey Affleck, Lucas Hedges) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A man must contend with having to return to his former town following his brother's death that's suddenly left him as the guardian of his teenage nephew.
- Lee Chandler (CASEY AFFLECK) once lived in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts with his wife, Randi (MICHELLE WILLIAMS), and their kids. But they're now divorced and he lives in Boston where he works a thankless job as the superintendent for a residential building.
When he gets word from his friend George (C.J. WILSON) that his brother, Joe (KYLE CHANDLER), has passed away from a chronic health condition, Lee returns to his former town where he informs his 16-year-old nephew, Patrick (LUCAS HEDGES), of his father's death.
Lee assumes that once he gets his brother's affairs in order, he'll return to Boston, but then he learns that Joe named him as Patrick's guardian. And with that teen's alcoholic mother, Elise (GRETCHEN MOL), out of the picture, Lee figures he has no choice but to uproot his nephew and take him down to Boston.
But that doesn't sit well with the teen, what with having all of his friends in Manchester-by-the-Sea, being on both the hockey team and in a band, and having two girlfriends -- Silvie (KARA HAYWARD) and Sandy (ANNA BARYSHNIKOV) -- who aren't aware of him seeing the other.
From that point on, Lee tries to figure out what's best for him and his nephew, all while dealing with memories of past events that changed his life forever.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might if they're enticed by the award buzz about the film, or if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.