(2016) (Kate Beckinsale, Xavier Samuel) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A late 18th century widow tries to manipulate others in order to find a husband for herself as well as her daughter.
- It's the late 1700s and Lady Susan Vernon (KATE BECKINSALE) is a middle-aged woman with no money and no husband, what with being recently widowed. Despite her status, she's a confident woman, a trait that intimidates most other women, while her beauty attracts the men, such as the husband to Lady Lucy Manwaring (JENN MURRAY).
Lady Susan decides to travel from London to the country estate of her in-laws, Catherine DeCourcy Vernon (EMMA GREENWELL) and her husband, Charles (JUSTIN EDWARDS), where Catherine's brother, Reginald DeCourcy (XAVIER SAMUEL), is visiting and immediately entranced by the older woman.
That's part of Lady Susan's plan to manipulate others and situations in order to find a husband for herself, as well as her daughter, Frederica (MORFYDD CLARK), who's recently been expelled from school. Lady Susan believes her daughter should marry Sir James Martin (TOM BENNETT) who's already expressed an interest in her, but Frederica has no desire to marry the chatty and somewhat silly man.
Lady Susan confides all of this to her American friend, Alicia Johnson (CHLOň SEVIGNY), whose husband (STEPHEN FRY) keeps threatening to move them back to America, not only for his business, but also to get her away from Lady Susan. As all of that plays out and the weeks pass by, Lady Susan does what she can to get what she wants for herself and her daughter.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into adaptations of Jane Austen's works, or who might be a fan of costume dramas and/or anyone in the cast might have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.