(2016) (Kate Beckinsale, Xavier Samuel) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A late 18th century widow tries to manipulate others in order to find a husband for herself as well as her daughter.
- It's the late 1700s and Lady Susan Vernon (KATE BECKINSALE) is a middle-aged woman with no money and no husband, what with being recently widowed. Despite her status, she's a confident woman, a trait that intimidates most other women, while her beauty attracts the men, such as the husband to Lady Lucy Manwaring (JENN MURRAY).
Lady Susan decides to travel from London to the country estate of her in-laws, Catherine DeCourcy Vernon (EMMA GREENWELL) and her husband, Charles (JUSTIN EDWARDS), where Catherine's brother, Reginald DeCourcy (XAVIER SAMUEL), is visiting and immediately entranced by the older woman.
That's part of Lady Susan's plan to manipulate others and situations in order to find a husband for herself, as well as her daughter, Frederica (MORFYDD CLARK), who's recently been expelled from school. Lady Susan believes her daughter should marry Sir James Martin (TOM BENNETT) who's already expressed an interest in her, but Frederica has no desire to marry the chatty and somewhat silly man.
Lady Susan confides all of this to her American friend, Alicia Johnson (CHLOň SEVIGNY), whose husband (STEPHEN FRY) keeps threatening to move them back to America, not only for his business, but also to get her away from Lady Susan. As all of that plays out and the weeks pass by, Lady Susan does what she can to get what she wants for herself and her daughter.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into adaptations of Jane Austen's works, or who might be a fan of costume dramas and/or anyone in the cast might have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some thematic elements.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.