(2016) (voices of Art Parkinson, Charlize Theron) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Adventure: With the help of some unlikely characters, a boy must find his late father's suit of armor to contend with evil family spirits that want him to join them.
- In ancient Japan, Kubo (voice of ART PARKINSON) is a 12-year-old boy who enjoys entertaining the local villagers by spinning tales of a hero named Hanzo as accompanied by origami figures magically controlled by strumming on his shamisen. When not doing that, he cares for his mother, Kameyo (voice of BRENDA VACCARO), in a mountaintop cave. She also possesses magical powers but slips in and out of lucidity. Her main concern is keeping him safe from her father, the Moon King (voice of RALPH FIENNES), and her equally villainous sisters (both voiced by ROONEY MARA).
They want to bring him over to the dark side and are responsible for Kubo having lost his eye as an infant. When he ends up out after nightfall as his mother warned him never to do, he has an encounter with his aunts, with his mother seemingly giving her life to protect him.
When he comes to, he finds himself far away, accompanied by Monkey (voice of CHARLIZE THERON), a full-sized primate who's come to life out of the small talisman he's always carried around. Her only goal is to keep Kubo safe, and isn't pleased when a large insect man, Beetle (voice of MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY), grabs Kubo and takes him down into his cave. It turns out he's a former samurai who was cursed into his current state, and once served Hanzo who Kubo reveals was actually his father.
With his and Monkey's help, and led by a small origami version of Hanzo, Kubo sets out to find his late father's sword, armor, and helmet, all of which will help him fend him off his evil relatives.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Probably, especially if they're into stop-motion animated films.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements, scary images, action and peril.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.