(2016) (Jordan Peele, Keegan-Michael Key) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action Comedy: Two non-violent, middle-class, suburban black men infiltrate a vicious street gang to steal back their beloved cat.
- Rell's (JORDAN PEELE) longtime girlfriend has just broken up with him, and he doesn't feel like doing anything other than lying on the couch and smoking marijuana. His cousin, Clarence (KEEGAN-MICHAEL KEY), has a weekend to himself, what with his wife, Hannah (NIA LONG), out of town with her daughter, and he wants to live it up. Rell snaps back to life when a mysterious kitten shows up at his door. He decides to take him in, name him "Keanu," and photograph him in funny posed movie scenes for a calendar.
Unfortunately, Rell's house suffers a break-in and Keanu is stolen. Rell goes to his next-door neighbor, drug dealer Hulka (WILL FORTE), who surmises that it was the work of a vicious street gang led by Cheddar (METHOD MAN). Rell and Clarence decide to retrieve Keanu by posing as two near-mythic assassins named the Allentown Gang and getting in good with Cheddar and his fellow gang members Hi-C (TIFFANY HADDISH), Bud (JASON MITCHELL), Stitches (JAMAR MALACHI NEIGHBORS), and Trunk (DARRELL BRITT-GIBSON).
Before long, they are mixed up in the gang lifestyle, demanding payment from a coked-up Anna Faris (HERSELF), running afoul of a Latino crime lord named Bacon (LUIS GUZMAN), and eventually tangling with the real Allentown thugs (also reportedly played by PEELE and KEY, clad in heavy trench coats, sporting dreadlocks, and shot mostly in shadow).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The comedy and action elements should drawn interest from some older teens, especially if they're also fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, language throughout, drug use, and sexuality/nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.