(2016) (Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: The First Lady must contend with the immediate aftermath of the assassination of her husband, President Kennedy.
- It's a week after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy (CASPAR PHILLIPSON) and his widow and former First Lady, Jackie (NATALIE PORTMAN), has granted a reporter (BILLY CRUDUP) an interview with her at her Hyannis Port home. She's initially guarded with what she says, but finally opens up to him about the event and her time in the White House before that, including her famous tour of the White House to TV viewers from the year before.
As the film moves back and forth between that and the present, we also see her interaction with her brother-in-law, Bobby Kennedy (PETER SARSGAARD), immediately after the assassination and then over the course of several days. That includes preparing to move out of the White House so that newly sworn in President Lyndon B Johnson (JOHN CARROLL LYNCH) and his wife, Lady Bird (BETH GRANT), can move in, with Johnson's right-hand man, Jack Valenti (MAX CASELLA), being concerned about Jackie's safety and that of others what with her desire to have a grand public send-off for her late husband. And inter-cut with all of that are her talks with a priest (JOHN HURT) as she discusses her grief, fears and lost faith in God.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The Oscar buzz about Portman's performance might draw some teenage viewers, but unless one's otherwise a fan of someone in the cast or is drawn by the historical perspective, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For brief strong violence and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.