(2016) (Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Olsen) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A rising country music star must contend with his behavior that threatens both his career and the relationships he has with various women in his life.
- It's the 1940s and Hank Williams (TOM HIDDLESTON) is a young country music performer who has his own radio show in Alabama, thanks in part to the efforts by his manager-mother, Lillie (CHERRY JONES), to further his career. She clashes with Hank's new wife, Audrey (ELIZABETH OLSEN), but both want to help him reach his goal of one day performing at the Grand Ole Opry. An executive there, Jim Denny (WILL BEINBRINK), says Hanks needs to follow protocol to make such an appearance and suggests he team up with producer Fred Rose (BRADLEY WHITFORD) to hone his act.
Hank does just that, but as the years pass by, his drinking and womanizing ways put a strain on his relationship with Audrey. That eventually results in their split and him moving in with country music star Ray Price (VON CLEVE LEWIS) and starting to see Bobbie Jett (WRENN SCHMIDT).
Despite her ending up pregnant by him, Hank has already set his eyes on young Billy Jean Jones Eshliman (MADDIE HASSON) who eventually becomes his second wife. During all of that, Hank's career takes off and he becomes a huge star, but a chronic back problem, issues with drinking and other substance abuse, and his womanizing ways threaten to derail his career and his relationships with others.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the real-life Williams, old-school country music, and/or anyone in the cast, they might have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some language and brief sexuality/nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.