(2016) (Chris Pine, Ben Foster) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two brothers start robbing small banks to get enough money to save their late mother's farm.
- Toby Howard (CHRIS PINE) is an unemployed and divorced father of two who's recently gone through his mother's long illness and death. To make matters worse, a local bank is preparing to foreclose on her farm, and Toby would like his family's pass down generational poverty to end with his sons to whom he's bequeathed the land. Needing money to beat that foreclosure, Toby enlists the aid of his more impulsive and short-tempered brother, Tanner (BEN FOSTER), who has a long criminal record that includes serving ten years in prison.
While Tanner has no love lost for his late parents, he loves his brother and agrees to help him rob various branches of the bank behind the upcoming foreclosure. Taking only small denominations, the two have knocked off a number of banks, actions that have drawn the interest of Texas ranger Marcus Hamilton (JEFF BRIDGES) and his partner, Alberto Parker (GIL BIRMINGHAM).
Marcus is about as politically incorrect as they come -- including toward Alberto -- but his intuition and experience give him a strong hunch about where the next robbery might occur. As they stake out that place, Toby and Tanner indeed plan to hit that branch, but a change of plans leads to series of escalating confrontations that will forever change the lives of those involved on both sides of the law.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens could, especially if they're fans of anyone in the film or if the buzz about how good it is makes them interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some strong violence, language throughout and brief sexuality.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.