(2016) (Edgar Ramirez, Robert De Niro) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A headstrong boxer must contend with what success does to his career and life.
- Having grown up poor in Panama and viewing the U.S. military occupation of the Canal Zone, Roberto Duran (EDGAR RAMIREZ) has long had a distaste for all things American. Now a young adult, he's risen to the top of Panama's boxing world thanks to the work of his trainer Nestor Quinones and businessman-promoter, Carlos Eleta (RUBEN BLADES). The latter needs someone to take Roberto to the next level and believes that Ray Arcel (ROBERT DE NIRO) is the man for the job. After all, he's previously trained and managed 18 boxing champions, but was forced out of the sport by mob figures not happy with his desire to take boxing national via TV.
That's just fine by his wife, Stephanie (ELLEN BARKIN), but Ray can't resist the temptation of having another champion and thus offers to train Roberto for free, something he hopes will be okay with mob representative Frankie Carbo (JOHN TURTURRO). Despite his tendencies to be a hot-head and ignore Ray's advice, Roberto becomes an even bigger boxing sensation, eventually getting the chance to battle Sugar Ray Leonard (USHER) in the ring, with Roberto's wife, Felicidad (ANA DE ARMAS), enjoying the spoils of his victories, as does his childhood street mentor, Chaflan (OSCAR JAENADA). But when Roberto does the same and quickly lets himself fall out of shape, it's a question about whether he'll be able to get back to the top of his game for a rematch with Leonard.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into boxing movies and/or might be a fan of anyone in the cast, they could have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexuality/nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.