(2016) (Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An investment banker, emotionally stunted by his wife's accidental death, decides to take his life apart, all while coming to know a customer service rep and her troubled teenage son.
- Davis Mitchell (JAKE GYLLENHAAL) is a successful investment banker, married to Julia (HEATHER LIND), and an employee of the investment firm run by her father, Phil (CHRIS COOPER). Davis and Julia's marriage isn't the best, and he comes to realize that when both are struck by a vehicle and she dies from her injuries. Phil and his wife, Margot (POLLY DRAPER), are devastated by this loss, but Davis can't get himself to cry and instead tries to continue on with his life, all while coming to the realization that he never really knew Julia and probably didn't truly love her.
He reveals some of this through letters written to Karen Moreno (NAOMI WATTS), a customer service rep for a vending machine company run by her boyfriend boss, Carl (C.J. WILSON). She feels compassion for Davis and starts having additional contact with him, something that doesn't sit well with Carl. But when he must go out of town on business, Karen and Davis strike up a real friendship, including Davis getting to know her troubled and sexually confused teenage son, Chris (JUDAH LEWIS).
As that progresses, Davis comes to realize he never really paid attention to things in his life, and thus feels the need to deconstruct all of that, including the eventual slow demolition of his house, to figure out who he truly is.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens seem the most likely audience among kids, especially those who are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, some sexual references, drug use and disturbing behavior.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.