(2016) (Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama/Action: Those on board a mobile offshore drilling rig must contend with an increasingly dangerous situation when disaster strikes.
- It's April 2010 and a number of crew members who work on the Deepwater Horizon travel out to the mobile offshore drilling rig to check on the progress of the drilling of an exploratory well in the Gulf of Mexico. Among them is rig boss Jimmy Harrell (KURT RUSSELL) and his trusted associate, electronics technician Mike Williams (MARK WAHLBERG), as well as bridge officer Andrea Fleytas (GINA RODRIGUEZ).
Jimmy and Mike are well-liked by the crew that numbers more than one hundred men and women, but a number of BP officials, including rig supervisor Donald Vidrine (JOHN MALKOVICH), aren't exactly as friendly. And that's because he believes Jimmy and his crew are too far over budget and schedule, while Jimmy and Mike think Donald and others are cutting corners and pushing the crew to take unnecessary risks all in the name of making as much money as quickly as possible.
The results of a negative pressure test prove their point, but Donald points out a number of viable explanations, one of which is given credence using an auxiliary test. But the crew's initial wariness is proven correct when things go awry and a series of escalating catastrophes strike the rig. From that point on, Mike and Jimmy do what they can to mitigate as much of that as possible and get their crew to safety, all while Mike's wife back home, Felicia (KATE HUDSON), worries about him as the situation worsens.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those interested in the real story probably will, while fans of anyone in the cast might also show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For prolonged intense disaster sequences and related disturbing images, and brief strong language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.