(2016) (Ryan Reynolds, Ed Skrein) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Superhero Action/Comedy: An unlikely superhero with a wicked sense of humor tries to get revenge on the villains who turned him into what he's become.
- Wade Wilson (RYAN REYNOLDS) is a former Special Forces op who now works as a mercenary in New York City. He often frequents a bar run by his friend, Weasel (T.J. MILLER), where there's a betting related "dead pool" up on the wall to guess and gamble which of the bar's patrons are likely to perish next. It's there that Wade met female escort Vanessa Carlysle (MORENA BACCARIN) and the two quickly end up in bed and then each other's hearts. But then Wade learns he has late stage cancer, and desperate to live for his new girlfriend, he agrees to a nebulous experiment that reportedly will not only cure his disease but also turn him into a superhero.
But as administered by Francis "Ajax" Freeman (ED SKREIN) and his cohort, Angel Dust (GINA CARANO), it amounts to rounds of torture needed to cause the introduced serum in his body to activate. Once it does, it cures the cancer, but it also badly disfigures his skin while also essentially making him immortal, at least from physical harm. Not wanting Vanessa to see him that way, he ends up rooming with blind former druggie, Blind Al (LESLIE UGGAMS), while also becoming a crime fighter using the name of his newfound superhero alter-ego, Deadpool.
But his vigilante ways don't sit well with two fellow mutants -- the hulking and metallic Colossus (voice of STEFAN KAPICIC) and the energy wave controlling Negasonic Teenage Warhead (BRIANNA HILDEBRAND) -- who want him to join the X-Men forces. He's more interested, however, in finding Ajax and getting his revenge, all while behaving in a decidedly irreverent and profane way.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of the comic book on which it's based, or superhero movies in general probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence and language throughout, sexual content and graphic nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.