(2016) (Kevin Hart, Dwayne Johnson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy/Action: An accountant finds his life turned upside down when his former high school classmate gets him involved in a dangerous CIA case.
- Twenty years ago, Calvin Joyner (KEVIN HART) was the most popular senior in his high school, with a pretty girlfriend, Maggie (DANIELLE NICOLET), and the adoration of teachers and classmates alike. Voted most likely to succeed, he even had a soft spot for obese and unpopular classmate Robbie Weirdicht (DWAYNE JOHNSON). That young man ended up publically humiliated when school bully Trevor (DYLAN BOYACK) and his buddies took Robbie from the locker shower and slid him out onto the gym floor, buck naked in front of everyone. To help him out, Calvin gave him his letterman jacket to cover himself up, but never heard from him again.
In the present, Calvin feels he's never lived up to his once-promising potential and works as an accountant where his former assistant has been promoted ahead of him. Maggie is looking forward to attending their high school reunion, but Calvin doesn't want to go, viewing himself as a failure. And then out of the blue, he gets a Facebook friend request from someone named Bob Stone, who then reveals he's actually Robbie. When the two meet, Calvin is shocked to see the physical transformation as Robbie/Bud is now an imposing, muscular guy, still as nerdy as ever but able to dispatch some adult bullies with ease.
Knowing Calvin is an accountant, Bud asks for his help with an online financial account, and Calvin is shocked by the numbers showing up on his screen. But he's even more shocked the following morning when steely FBI agent Pamela Harris (AMY RYAN) and her two armed assistants arrive and tell him that Bud is now a rogue agent wanted for treason and the murder of his former partner, Phil (AARON PAUL). Calvin can't believe that and tries telling Pamela that they're not close friends. But the accountant then finds his life turned upside down as Bud keeps pulling him further into the case involving spy satellites, bad guys and such. From that point on, Calvin tries to figure out who to believe as things progressively get hairier.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of Hart, Johnson, or anyone else in the cast, or action-comedy based "buddy movies," they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For crude and suggestive humor, some nudity, action violence and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.