(2016) (Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: Two boozy British socialites lose everything when one of them is accused of murder, forcing them to flee to the French Riviera.
- PR agent Edina (JENNIFER SAUNDERS) and fashion magazine editor Patsy (JOANNA LUMLEY) are best friends who, for decades, have enabled each other's boozy, drug-abusing, chain-smoking lifestyles. But both are in their 60s now, and the pop culture scene is passing them by. Near penniless after her autobiography fails to generate any interest from publishers, Edina is in need of a big client and learns that supermodel Kate Moss (HERSELF) recently fired her publicist. So, she and Patsy manage to gain entry to a swank London party where Edina vies with rival PR guru Claudia Bing (CELIA IMRIE) for Kate's attention.
Unfortunately, Edina accidentally knocks the model off a veranda and into the Thames River where she appears to drown. Britain and the world go into mourning, and Edina becomes a most hated suspect. The negative publicity taints Patsy, as well, who is fired from the magazine. After accidentally drowning Edina's dim-witted assistant Bubble (JANE HORROCKS) in the Thames looking for Moss, the two hatch a scheme to flee to the French Riviera and use Edina's granddaughter, Lola (INDEYARNA DONALDSON-HOLNESS) and her plethora of credit cards for funding, all while Patsy tries to find Charlie (BARRY HUMPHRIES), a rich pornographer she once had a fling with who promised to marry her.
Meanwhile, Edina's level-headed daughter, Saffron (JULIA SAWALHA), tries to find her mother before her police detective boyfriend, Nick (ROBERT WEBB) does. She suspects that her grandmother (JUNE WHITFIELD), who is also in France celebrating a friend's birthday, knows her mom's whereabouts.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they were a fan of the cult British TV series, most likely not.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, including sexual references, and some drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.