(2016) (Lewis MacDougall, Felicity Jones) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama/Fantasy: While dealing with his mom's major illness and other issues, a 12-year-old boy must contend with visits by a huge tree-monster that's arrived to teach him several life lessons.
- Conor (LEWIS MacDOUGALL) is a 12-year-old boy whose life is in upheaval. Not only must he contend with psychological and physical harassment at the hands of fellow student Harry (JAMES MELVILLE) and other bullies, but he's also worried about his Mum (FELICITY JONES) who's been stricken with a major illness. Since his Dad (TOBY KEBBELL) lives in America with his new family, Conor's Grandma (SIGOURNEY WEAVER) has been taking care of both him and his Mum and believes the boy should come and live with her from this point forward as things aren't looking good for her daughter.
Due to the stress of it all, the boy has been experiencing nightmares where a nearby church and graveyard collapse into a huge sinkhole, with him desperately trying to hold onto his Mum's hand as she dangles above the resultant abyss. That comes into play when a towering yew tree turns into the fiery Monster (voice of LIAM NEESON) that pays Conor a visit, informing him that he'll return every night for three nights with a story to tell him, and that Conor will then tell the Monster one of his own.
The boy initially refuses, but eventually agrees, with the Monster telling him stories from the past, all of which contain important life lessons the Monster believes Conor must learn. As that continues, the 12-year-old tries to come to grips with the various issues facing him.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Since the film revolves around a 12-year-old boy (and a monster), it might be intriguing to some.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic content and some scary images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.