(2017) (Annette Bening, Lucas Jade Zumann) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A divorced, 55-year-old woman asks two young women -- a 24-year-old photographer and a 17-year-old neighbor -- to help her figure out the best way to raise her 15-year-old son.
- It's the summer of 1979 and Dorothea Fields (ANNETTE BENING) is a divorced, 55-year-old woman living in Santa Barbara, California with her 15-year-old son, Jamie (LUCAS JADE ZUMANN). She wants her boy to grow up happier than she is, and while there's a male figure around in the form of handyman William (BILLY CRUDUP) who's renovating her old house, Dorothea realizes Jamie spends most of his time with certain women. Accordingly, she asks 24-year-old Abbie (GRETA GERWIG), a photographer who's renting a room from her, and 17-year-old neighbor Julie (ELLE FANNING) to help her figure out the best way to raise her son so that he'll end up as a well-adjusted man.
While that's asking a bit of them -- especially Abbie who's just gotten through the ordeal of cervical cancer but is more than happy to help educate the teen about the ways of the world including feminism -- little does she know that Julie sneaks over most nights and platonically sleeps with Jamie. As they do what they can, the boy tries to come to grips with varying emotions, urges and such that come along with being a 15-year-old boy with young women around, all while also trying to figure out his mom and understand the reason she behaves the way she does.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of anyone in the cast might show some interest, especially with some central teenage characters.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual material, language, some nudity and brief drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.