(2015) (Jonah Hill, James Franco) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A disgraced New York Times journalist hopes for career redemption while writing a book about a man who's been accused of killing his wife and three young children.
- Michael Finkel (JONAH HILL) is an acclaimed New York Times journalist who's just published a scathing article about modern day slavery in Africa. Unfortunately, it's soon revealed that he manipulated people and details in the story and, as a result, is subsequently fired. Retreating to his Montana home, Michael suddenly can't land any writing assignments, something that worries his wife, Jill (FELICITY JONES), just as much as his continued emotional distance from her.
When Michael hears that a suspected killer, Christian Longo (JAMES FRANCO), was using his identity while on the run in Mexico, the disgraced writer sees an opportunity for potential redemption and resurrection of his career. When he meets Christian, he finds him to be a calm and friendly man, unlike the sort who could allegedly kill his wife and three young children.
In exchange for teaching him how to write better and not publish the story until after his trial, Christian agrees to let Michael interview him for a story. As their relationship expands, Michael eventually realizes the material would be better suited as a novel, all while the question remains about whether Christian committed all or some of the crimes, or if he's manipulating the writer and the court system along the way.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Fans of Hill and Franco might be interested, although they could be surprised this is a drama and not a comedy.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and some disturbing material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.