(2015) (Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama/Thriller: A young woman must contend with being held captive for the past seven years in a single room by a man who's the father to her five-year-old boy who's never seen the outside world.
- It's been seven years since Joy Newsome (BRIE LARSON) was lured by a man to help his dog, only to be kidnapped by that man. Known only as Old Nick (SEAN BRIDGERS), he keeps her locked in a single, small room with a lone skylight in the ceiling. His weekly visits for sex has resulted in Jack (JACOB TREMBLAY), who's now five-years-old and has never seen the outside world except for a few over the air television channels. Needing to protect him, Joy makes the boy stay in the small closet when Old Nick shows up, and has concocted a partially made-up story about the outside world that she hopes he can understand.
Despite having unsuccessfully tried to escape in the past, she concocts a new plan. Despite the inherent dangers, it works, and both she and Jack end up free. But both must then contend with life outside that room, including that Joy's mom (JOAN ALLEN) and dad (WILLIAM H. MACY) are now divorced and she's now living with Leo (TOM McCAMUS). As Joy and Jack end up staying with them, they try to acclimate to their new situation, with Jack having to deal with things that are both new and foreign to him, while Joy suffers from post traumatic stress disorder.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest based solely on the premise, as well as critical buzz about the film.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.