(2015) (Hugh Jackman, Levi Miller) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy: Peter Pan's origin story is re-imagined, with the title character featured as a 12-year-old orphan in World War II London, who is kidnapped by pirates and whisked away to Neverland.
- Peter (LEVI MILLER) is a 12-year-old orphan, whose mother, Mary (AMANDA SEYFRIED) abandoned him when he was just a baby. It is now World War II London, and the orphanage is under seemingly constant threat of Nazi air raids. Peter and his friend, Nibs (LEWIS MacDOUGALL), are under constant threat of the strict, stern Mother Barnabas (KATHY BURKE). We learn that she and the other nuns have been selling orphans to pirates, who come in the middle of the night, snatch the young boys out of their beds, and spirit them off to a fantastical place called Neverland.
Peter is snatched one fateful night, and he soon finds himself enslaved to the infamous Blackbeard (HUGH JACKMAN). The ruthless pirate leader has set up a massive operation to mine for Pixium, a glowing substance hidden by fairies that stops the effects of aging when ground into dust and snorted. Peter believes his mother may be in Neverland and enlists the aid of a fellow slave, the roguish James Hook (GARRETT HEDLUND), and a shifty mine supervisor named Smee (ADEEL AKHTAR) to escape.
Once free, they are taken prisoner by the "natives" of Neverland led by the warrior princess Tiger Lily (ROONEY MARA). In their camp, Peter learns that he is the offspring of a fairy prince and a human woman and could very well be the prophesized Chosen One who will rise up and defeat Blackbeard and restore peace and freedom to Neverland. But Blackbeard is hot on his trail and eager to find the fairies' secret kingdom where there is reportedly a massive supply of Pixium for the taking.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Yes. Although the film skews dark, it is rated PG and should appeal to young boys and girls in the 7 to 13 age range, in particular.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For fantasy action violence, language, and some thematic material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.