(2015) (Dylan O'Brien, Thomas Brodie-Sangster) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Action: A teen and other survivors of a dangerous maze test must contend with further dangers, ranging from a paramilitary organization that wants to harvest an important immunity from their blood to ravenous zombies who want to attack them.
- Having managed to escape from a dangerous maze land into which they were dropped as part of what turns out to have been a test, Thomas (DYLAN O'BRIEN) and fellow survivors Newt (THOMAS BRODIE-SANGSTER), Minho (KI HONG LEE), Teresa (KAYA SCODELARIO), Frypan (DEXTER DAREN) and Winston (ALEXANDER FLORES) have been brought to a facility run by Janson (AIDAN GILLEN). He claims it's their home between homes, and each day a select group of fellow survivors are escorted away, presumably to a better place.
But Thomas is suspicious of this, as is another survivor, Aris (JACOB LOFLAND), who's been at this facility the longest. The two of them eventually uncover that Janson works for Ava Paige (PATRICIA CLARKSON), the leader of WCKD (World Catastrophe Killzone Department) who was responsible for the earlier maze test and now wants to harvest the immunity elements from the survivors' blood. It turns out an epidemic known as "the flare" has decimated most of the planet, leaving scorched ruins teaming with zombie-like "cranks."
Ava wants to find a cure, even if that means sacrificing the lives of people like Thomas, so he bands together his small group and, along with Aris, manages to escape. They hope to find a rumored group of resistance fighters known as the Right Hand, and initially believe they've discovered them when they enter an outpost run by Jorge (GIANCARLO ESPOSITO) and his surrogate adult daughter, Brenda (ROSA SALAZAR). Unfortunately for Thomas and his friends, Jorge is just a mercenary looking to make a quick buck by selling the kids back to WCKD.
From that point on, they must contend with him, Janson and his forces, and various encounters with the cranks.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the first film or the novel series on which this is based, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For extended sequences of violence and action, some thematic elements, substance use and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.