(2015) (Jack Black, Dylan Minnette) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Horror: A widow and her teenage son move in next door to a quirky horror novelist, who keeps his monstrous creations literally locked in his books.
- New York City teenager Zach (DYLAN MINNETTE) is still reeling from the death of his father a year earlier when his mother, Gale (AMY RYAN), is hired by a high school in small-town Delaware to be the next assistant principal. They are sad to leave the big city, but are at least glad the town of Madison is where Gale's quirky, loving sister, Lorraine (JILLIAN BELL), also lives.
In the first couple of days, Zach meets three people who will become very important to him. The first is Champ (RYAN LEE), a nerdy type who immediately claims Zach as his best friend. The second is Hannah (ODEYA RUSH), the pretty teenage girl next door who is home-schooled. And the third is her perpetually angry, overprotective father who turns out to be R.L. Stine, the reclusive author of the "Goosebumps" series of young-adult horror novels.
When Zach thinks that Hannah is in danger of abuse, he and Champ break into Stine's home one night. When they stumble into the house's library, they learn the man's secret identity. They also learn that the monsters he has created over the years are real and he keeps them trapped in his original manuscripts. Soon, Zach and Champ have accidentally unleashed on the town such fanciful, but evil creations as the Invisible Boy, the Abominable Snowman, the Werewolf, and many more all under the command of Slappy (voice of JACK BLACK), a bitter ventriloquist dummy with a Napoleonic complex.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Yes, especially those around age 8 and older as the "Goosebumps" series is one of the most popular young reader series going.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For scary and intense creature action and images, and some rude humor.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.