(2015) (Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A computer programmer is summoned by his reclusive, inventor boss to determine if his latest creation, a realistic looking female robot, possesses true and undeniable artificial intelligence.
- Caleb (DOMHNALL GLEESON) is a 26-year-old programmer who learns he's won a company lottery prize to spend a week with their reclusive CEO, Nathan (OSCAR ISAAC). Nathan's company runs the number one search engine on the Internet, but he's after more than just that, something he introduces to Caleb at his remote, underground and highly secretive home-meets-lab. There, while his non-English speaking assistant, Kyoko (SONOYA MIZUNO), tends to his daily needs, Nathan has created a realistic looking robot he's named Ava (ALICIA VIKANDER).
He's brought Caleb there to perform a so-called Turing Test on her -- namely to see if she possesses truly believable artificial intelligence. As the week begins, Caleb begins interviewing Ava and is impressed by what he sees, hears and experiences. But during occasional power glitches in the lab -- during which Nathan is unable to monitor their interaction via camera and microphone -- Ava instructs Caleb not to trust anything Nathan says or does. Keeping that in mind as the week progresses, Caleb comes to sense Ava as a real being, all while wondering what's really going on and what Nathan might really be doing.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into heady sci-fi tales, stories about androids, or are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For graphic nudity, language, sexual references and some violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.