(2015) (Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A young woman of the late 19th century moves to her new husband's dilapidated, English mansion and must contend not only with supernatural events there, but also her husband's creepy sister.
- It's the late 19th century and Edith Cushing (MIA WASIKOWSKA) is a young, aspiring author who lives in Buffalo with her rich, builder father, Carter Cushing (JIM BEAVER). While handsome local doctor Alan McMichael (CHARLIE HUNNAM) is obviously interested in Edith, she's set her sights on Thomas Sharpe (TOM HIDDLESTON) who's recently arrived from England in hopes of raising capital for his clay mining machine. Carter is immediately suspicious of Thomas and his off-putting sister, Lucille (JESSICA CHASTAIN), and hires a private detective, Holly (BURN GORMAN), to check into them.
His findings don't sit well with Carter, who agrees to pay off Thomas to leave. But before that happens, Carter is brutally murdered, resulting in Edith eventually moving to England with new husband Thomas to the dilapidated mansion, Allerdale Hall, that he owns with Lucille and that sits atop a clay mine. Lucille is cold toward Edith, which leaves the latter unsettled, as do a number of supernatural encounters with ghost corpses that start popping up with a startling, increasing frequency. At the same time, Alan becomes suspicious of Carter's death and how that relates to Edith now living with Thomas and his sister.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror films, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For bloody violence, some sexual content and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.