(2015) (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: The illegitimate son of a famous boxer tries to make a name for himself by using his father's former opponent as his trainer.
- Adonis Johnson (MICHAEL B. JORDAN) has been a fighter ever since he was a troubled kid going through foster homes and juvenile detention. It wasn't until Mary Anne Creed (PHYLICIA RASHAD) took him in as a boy and raised him as her son that he learned why that seems to be in his blood.
She was married to the late, former heavyweight champion of the world, Apollo Creed, and Adonis is his illegitimate son via an affair he had. Adonis ended up growing up in a lavish lifestyle in Los Angeles where he now has a good job in the financial services sector. Yet, he can't shake the boxing bug that he temporarily satiates via unsanctioned bouts in Tijuana.
When he's finally had enough of that, he moves to Philadelphia in hopes of convincing his father's former and equally famous opponent, Rocky Balboa (SYLVESTER STALLONE), to be his trainer. The widowed ex-champ is reluctant at first, but Adonis eventually convinces him, and thus Rocky sets out training him old school. At the same time, Adonis ends up falling for his downstairs apartment neighbor, Bianca (TESSA THOMPSON), a singer who's pursuing her career despite progressive hearing loss.
As Adonis ends up improving his skills, and once his pedigree is leaked out, he draws the attention of the manager for current light heavyweight champion of the world, Ricky Conlan (TONY BELLEW). The latter is headed to prison soon and his manager wants to get in one last fight, so he sets up the bout with Rocky and Adonis. From that point on, they train for the big bout, all while Rocky must contend with an unexpected health issue.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into boxing movies (particularly the "Rocky" ones) or are fans of anyone in the cast, they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence, language and some sensuality.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.