(2015) (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two 1950s era women must contend with the ramifications of them falling in love with each other.
- It's the 1950s and Therese Belivet (ROONEY MARA) is a young woman who works in the toy section of a department store, but would like to be a photographer. She has no shortage of male suitors, be that her current boyfriend, Danny McElroy (JOHN MAGARO), who's frustrated that their relationship isn't progressing more quickly, or Richard Semco (JACK LACY), a young man who works for the New York Times but wants to be a writer. Despite their attention, Therese has found herself instantly smitten with Carol Aird (CATE BLANCHETT), a fashionable woman who's arrived at her counter in need of gifts. When Carol leaves her gloves on Therese's counter, and the clerk then returns them to her, the two strike up a friendship that teeters on something more.
That doesn't sit well with Carol's husband, Harge (KYLE CHANDLER), who's seen this before, namely in a lesbian fling his wife had with Abby Gerhard (SARAH PAULSON), their young daughter's godmother. Despite them planning to divorce, he's still fixated on winning Carol back, but she clearly has her sights set firmly on Therese and vice-versa. As the women's friendship turns into romance and sex, they must contend with the ramifications of that, including Harge using that against Carol in attempts to win sole custody of their young daughter.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, but that's probably it unless younger teens might be a fan of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For a scene of sexuality/nudity and brief language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.