(2015) (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two 1950s era women must contend with the ramifications of them falling in love with each other.
- It's the 1950s and Therese Belivet (ROONEY MARA) is a young woman who works in the toy section of a department store, but would like to be a photographer. She has no shortage of male suitors, be that her current boyfriend, Danny McElroy (JOHN MAGARO), who's frustrated that their relationship isn't progressing more quickly, or Richard Semco (JACK LACY), a young man who works for the New York Times but wants to be a writer. Despite their attention, Therese has found herself instantly smitten with Carol Aird (CATE BLANCHETT), a fashionable woman who's arrived at her counter in need of gifts. When Carol leaves her gloves on Therese's counter, and the clerk then returns them to her, the two strike up a friendship that teeters on something more.
That doesn't sit well with Carol's husband, Harge (KYLE CHANDLER), who's seen this before, namely in a lesbian fling his wife had with Abby Gerhard (SARAH PAULSON), their young daughter's godmother. Despite them planning to divorce, he's still fixated on winning Carol back, but she clearly has her sights set firmly on Therese and vice-versa. As the women's friendship turns into romance and sex, they must contend with the ramifications of that, including Harge using that against Carol in attempts to win sole custody of their young daughter.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, but that's probably it unless younger teens might be a fan of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For a scene of sexuality/nudity and brief language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.